Over the course of your smoking tenure, you will no doubt sample a variety of cigar types, shapes, and sizes. Cigar sizes vary depending on the manufacturer and country, but there is an emerging industry standard of sorts regarding sizing.
In the U.S. and Canada, you will typically see cigar length represented in inches, and girth represented in ring size — or 64ths of inches.
Color refers to the shade of the wrapper — the outer leaf of the cigar. In the U.S. and Canada, varying shades of wrapper are used — traditionally falling in (or close to) one of the following categories.
- Double Claro is a light green wrapper
- Claro is a light tan wrapper
- Natural is a light brown to brown wrapper
- Colorado is a brown to reddish-brown wrapper
- Maduro is a dark brown wrapper
- Oscuro is a black wrapper
The chart below shows various ring sizes and their relative girth. A recent trend has seen production of cigars with 80+ ring gauges.
There are many different sizes of cigars, but you are most likely to encounter the following in your smoking adventures.
|Robusto||5.0 inches||50 ring|
|Panatela||5.0 inches||33 ring|
|Corona||5.5 inches||42 ring|
|Double Corona||7.5 inches||49 ring|
|Corona Gorda||6.0 inches||46 ring|
|Corona Grande||6¼ inches||42 ring|
|Gran Corona||9¼ inches||47 ring|
|Toro||6.0 inches||50 ring|
|Double Toro/Gordo||6.0 inches||60 ring|
|Lonsdale||6.5 inches||42 ring|
|Churchill||7.0 inches||42 ring|
|Presidente||8.0 inches||50 ring|
Cigar shapes tend to be uniform throughout the industry. Popular shapes include:
- Pyramid — a pointed, closed head widening to an open foot
- Belicoso — a small pyramid shape with a round head (instead of a point)
- Torpedo — a pointed head, closed foot, and slight ‘bulge’ in the middle
- Perfecto — two rounded ends and a ‘bulge’ in the middle
- Solomon — an oval shape: tapered ends with a ‘bulge’ in the middle
◆ The Embassy Cigar Lounge website features an excellent visual demonstration of various cigar shapes and sizes.
◆ Cigar Journal offers comprehensive and useful information for cigar smokers of all levels.